Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Quartzsite Camper RV Show

The Quartzsite Camper RV Show

(Face-palm.)  Well, If you read my first post on Quartzsite, this one will probably not come as a terrible shock.   This is a late post, both the Quartzsite Camper\RV show, and I think Bob Well's Rubber tramp rally have already passed me by (see below).  I'm in the desert of California about forty to sixty miles away.

  Recommendation#2: Don't bother with the Quartzsite Camper\RV show.

I actually really expected there to be a variety of campers and RV's here.  I don't know why, maybe it was just the name, but I really expected some type of variety.

Recommendation: Find local Camper\RV shows.

It might sound as if I'm just maliciously denouncing Quartzsite.  Not at all true!    It may be that Quartzsite is some people's idea of a wonderful showplace of goods and services.  I just don't see it. (Actually, I hope to be in Quartzsite for a little of the ARRL, American Radio Relay League, show immediately following the Camper\RV show.)

But, if I may rattle on a bit: I think that the problem is that the vendors at Quartzsite have decided on a particular audience that they expect to see, and they're bringing only those goods that might appeal to that audience.  And I can't really say that I blame them... Quartzsite is in the middle of a desert, and you don't want to be dragging a bunch of stuff out here that isn't going to play with a certain demographic.

That's why all to the RVs and fifth-wheels seem to be exact copies of each other varying only in price, or the particular combination of pop-outs.  That's why the vendors "in the big tent" are a collection of face creams, knee pain relief, and general purveyors of alternative medicine "Woo". (Seriously: go to a doctor that uses real science based medicine, not one of the new age, "integrative medicine" hacks.)

I only saw one RV that was remotely interesting.  A converted bus (probably an old "Greyhound" bus) that had been beautifully and thoughtfully refitted as a very nice home... and I've lost the card so that I can't even say who the refitters were.

Anyway.  Maybe there will be something at the ARRL show that I find interesting.

Update, missed the ARRL in the desert. Brake seizure.
Sad but true; I haven't made it out of the California desert.  The piston on the
front left caliper on my disk brakes has seized, and the rotor is being worn down to nothing. I know you want the exciting video from this adventure, and if I could set my cheap camera up to do timed photos, I would have posted a video of the action to strip off the old caliper and rotor, repack the inner and outer bearings, attach the new hardware, bleed the brakes and get going again.  There are a lot of YouTubes with these types of postings, and so until I have a better command of my tools, or better tools, I'll have to rely on other voices.

I'm going to resort to e-Begging here.  It seems that I've systematically worked to limit my options more and more over the last couple of years, and I'm kind of stuck out here without a fall-back.  I'm trying to do things to earn money on the road, but so far, even though I actually have a load of skills that should make this easy (a couple of degrees and years in industry), I just don't seem to be equal to the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment